Monday, May 28

The Vines Seafood and Steak Restaurant

Something's tickling me.
Down at my dorsal.

Gee, it sure sounds better when I'm typing it out.

The seemingly seductive fiddler is actually a dry-cleaning tag on my skirt.

Alright back to business. When people talk about Miss Clarity Cafe, the one other restaurant that inevitably gets mentioned is The Vines Seafood & Steak Restaurant - it's quite the Lindsay/ Paris thing to do! While Miss Clarity is regarded as the new kid on the block, The Vines has carved out a terroritory of its own by 'being around the block'. It is undeniable that both places have earned their themselves scores of fans who love "fine dining food", but don't exactly live on Lindsay/ Paris's budget.

Unlike Miss Clarity Cafe, the interior of the surf and turf restaurant is thankfully not quite as masculine-challenged. The atmosphere appears down to earth and the no-nonsense persona echoes in its dishes.



Poor garlic bread- it must be the most overdone starter in the history of grub. Children parties, budget office parties, late night binges... I mean, I like garlic bread and all but how mind-blowingly fascinating can it get? The soup was unremarkable but if I had been looking remarkable soups, it would be downright foolish of me to turn to The Vines.

The attraction of the restaurant was its steaks. While I thoroughly enjoy the oyster morney and chicken le cordon bleu from Miss Clarity Cafe, I got to admit their steak sucks. Period. Now excusing the slightly angtsy teenage-emo tone, I would have to say that MCC's Sirloin Steak and Rib eye over-promise, under-deliver.



At The Vines, the rib-eye was perfect medium rare, imbued with a pretty red that Dad loved in his steak and I, a stone on my fourth finger.



The lamb shank while tasty, was a tad dry (better lamb shanks can be found at Secret Recipe and Ember Restaurant).



Tempted by the optical illusion on the menu, I ordered the lobster and Sirloin Steak plate. Length-wise, the lobster was no bigger then my hand (palm and fingers included), but once I eased down my expectations, I was able to enjoy my 15 secs of lobster. The Sirloin steak was 'not bad', save for the fact that I been to steak-topia and am not in a hurry to rejoin Earth.

It was a pity each dishes comes with pedastrian side- baked potato accompanied by chives, sour cream and Spam's evil cousin Bacon Bits; an 'ok' mashed potato; boiled white radish, carrots and broccoli that was overdone and BLAH-and.



The dessert of the day was fruit cake. OOO i was half-expecting a Christmas slice with dried fruits and raisins but what we got was an inelaborate dry fruit-less butter cake with chocolate sauce. Another testimony of what not to expect in a wallet-friendly restaurant.

I think when its comes to steaks , it is clear as crystal that The Vines weaves its way ahead of Miss Clarity by notches but I would have to credit Miss Clarity Cafe for her variety of offerings. The words used to describe The vines would be 'decent' and 'suitable for those married for 5 yrs and up, if you are looking for somewhere 'awesome' or 'date-worthy', you are clearly in the wrong place.

1 comment:

Chubbypanda said...

I dig a great lamb shank. Should be so tender you can just suck it off of the bone.