Sunday, November 12

Muthu's Curry

Written after dinner last thursday.

Situated at Suntec City's Fountain Terrace, Muthu's Curry is a magnet for corporate souls waiting to spice up their lunch hour without resorting to the fire escape stairs; on the other hand, if you are someone who can't stomach spice, you will probably wish you had a fire hose at arm's length.

Whenever I first walked past Muthu’s Curry during lunch hour, the first thing that caught my eye my attention iwas the contemporary new-age set up of an old prominent name. The folks at Muthu’s Curry are definitely "keeping up with times". The interior design channels black sleekness, keeping a few jasmine garlands for good measure. And the waiters? Wired up with earpieces and armed with hand-held PDAs, they look more like secret agents, who had blown their covers.

The second thing you realise is how packed it always is, mostly with men dressed in various hues of blue shirts. Hmm, really now, do men wear any other colour? Oh well, I guess it’s not wise to wear white when you are eating curry.

For someone who prefers a 'clean unfussy' taste, I definitely wouldn't consider curry (be it Indian, Chinese or Japanese) on a normal basis. But today wasn't normal for I already had Japanese at Ichiban Boshi and I was "merely accompanying" Jimmy for second dinner. I say "merely" because let's face it, you think one person could have finished everything we ordered PLUS two baskets of papadum himself?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

At Muthu's Curry, differing palates compromise as the menu offers the best of both North and South Indian cuisine. From the South Indian pages, Jimmy readily picked out the Masala Chicken. Not quite Bourbon On the Rocks, but something tells me this guy has been harbouring a secret desire to get his Masala on the Leaf. You would be too once you get a taste of this insanely delectable Chicken Masala, which should come with its own fan club application form.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Malai Broccoli Kebab

Despite being a broccoli nut, it is my first encounter with Broccoli Kebab and I was half expecting it to be served skewered. When the oven-roasted version arrived complete with charred tips arrived, I was hooked. On first bite, it was a little smoky and peppery, then I realized I had forgotten all about the Malai, which was served separately.

According to Wikipedia.com, the preparation of ‘Malai’ involves a long repeated process of heating unpasteurized whole milk, cooling and skimming off the thick yellowish layer of fat and coagulated proteins, which forms on the surface.

I’m guessing you would never have guessed this innocent bowl of Malai would require such ardous preparation. Well, neither did I. But dribble it over the oven-roasted broccoli for an unusual but welcoming change.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Butter Naan was man-o-man pillowy soft and it had such great ‘tear away’ quality. Though it was heart-stoppingly good with the Masala gravy, I had no problem eating it on its own. If I didn’t have sushi before this, I would have definitely ordered a second (and a very probable third) piece.

Yet another gut-satisfying carb brought to you by Flour, Yeast and Butter Productions.

Papadums were great too.. twist gently and the papadums shatter effortlessly.

Although we didn't order their famous fish head curry, every other table did so Muthu's Curry must be doing something right. I would love to return with a bigger company so that we can order more dishes and indulge in this office romance of a different kind...

3 comments:

Chubbypanda said...

Oooooh... That curry looks luscious. I heart Indian curries.

- Chubbypanda

Anonymous said...

oh muthu curry!!!! now im really missing home!

Chubbypanda said...

Weird. Why did blogger beta's comments thingy displaying my email address and not my handle for that last post?

- Chubbypanda