Monday, February 18

Feb DOTM: "Truffles" for my Bae

For whatever reason, this year’s Chinese New Year was i-n-t-e-n-s-e. There were back-to-back gatherings over the last couple of weeks - and I had to graciously bow out of a couple. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the madness and chaos of it all but it was enough. I even fell ill last week and took super long maps during the weekend.

Crazy times. Loved it but don’t miss it.

In the midst of all the gatherings, my Cousin-in-law offered us some energy balls that she had made and they blew my mind. I didn’t get her recipe but I found one that seemed similar to what she describe. Plus Valentine’s Day was just around the corner so I made a few for the team.

They are such awesome healthy treats (always a win-win in my books) and they look like real chocolate truffles once you've rolled them in cocoa powder. I hope you enjoy them as much I do!


Ingredients
Adapted from Recipe Runner; Makes 16-20 balls

  • 8 pitted medjool dates, chopped and soaked in hot water for 15 minutes
  • 2-3 tablespoons water
  • 1/3 cup dried cherriess
  • 3/4 cup raw almonds
  • 1/4 cup raw cashews
  • 1/4 cup pistachios, shelled
  • 1/3 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions 

  1. Add all the nuts cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla to a high speed blender or food processor. 
  2. Blend everything together until it is finally ground. 
  3. Blend the dates, cherries, and water into the nut mixture in several batches scraping down the sides of the blender after each batch. 
  4. Once the mixture comes together and resembles thick brownie batter, scoop a tablespoon of the mixture out and roll it into a ball with wet hands. 
  5. Roll the energy bites in dark cocoa powder. Highly recommended!
  6. Store the energy bites in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.

No comments: