Thursday, April 26

Thunder Tea Rice, Suntec City


Ever since I moved into a new role and new office location, I’ve been trying to find my go-to meal for lunch. From Mondays to Fridays, I’m truly in an eat-to-survive mode and I dread thinking about what to eat everyday.

A colleague suggested grabbing thunder tea rice and I balked internally. This defiance was of course due to ignorance and narrow-mindedness.

One day, I got really desperate as I was sick of msg-ladden food court meals and overpriced salads are really not my thing. I gave into the short queue at the thunder tea rice store and ordered the standard, which includes snake beans, julienned cabbage and finely chopped leafy greens, tau kwa (firm tofu), chye poh (preserved radish), hae bee (dried shrimp) and crispy ikan bilis (whitebait).

And the verdict?

It is seriously good! Ok, before you call me crazy, I have to warn you to hold pouring in the pungent herbaceous tea broth. Sip it only if you feel thirsty or drizzle if you find the concoction a little too dry for your liking.

It’s savoury, crunchy and chewy without weighing you down. It’s delicious AND healthful – I can’t think of a better reason to make this a regular meal. 

2 comments:

Pretziliv said...

I normally will tell them not to water down the tea and pour it all on the rice and mix to let the tea coat all the ingredients. Very refreshing!

yixiao said...

Me too! I don't like the tea watered down =)