Tuesday, May 27

Le Gamin, New York City

In New York, I didn't visit any of those atas-fartas can't-get-reservation-nanny-nanny-poo-poo restaurants.

Momofuku who?

Ok I admit, I think give some thought to Momofuku but after Nobu (in Hong Kong), Chikalicious and Pinkberry, I was less than enthusiastic about "Fusian" (that's my 'Brangelina' version of Fusion and Asian). Of course I could be wrong about Momofuku and if you insist on proving me wrong, you could always buy me dinner... an air ticket (Singapore Airlines preferably, thanks)... and provide accommodation...

Haha

Paulina and the rest took me to one of their other favourite haunts Le Gamin, a neighbourhood French bistro on Hudson Street. After this trip, apart from sustaining an allergy towards Fusian, I developed a morbid crush on neighbourhood-ish French bistros. In fact, I bought the May issue of Bon Appetit after an alluring picture of steak and frite made it to its cover. And that one copy led to a year long subscription.

Back to Le Gamin.



The complimentary bread and butter was nothing fancy but nothing too shabby either. After tearing away the fluffy insides that begged to be caressed by fingers, instead of the unchewable crust, and a jab at the butter dice, I was more than ready for my main course.



Both Chervin and Robert had the Le Steack Au Poivre Vert et Son Gratin Dauphinois, a New York shell steak with green peppercorn sauce and potato gratin. It was "tender and succculent" and I've just committed The Boring Food Writer's faux pas. Haha.



Dawn had a Saumon grillé, Sauce à la moutarde, Riz Aux Legumes, grilled salmon with cous cous, grilled vegetables in mustard sauce. The next time I wax lyrical about how much I lovelovelove sashimi and dislikeDIE!dislike cooked salmon, you have every right to silence me with this dish. Then again, what I really liked about this dish was the couscous and grilled vegetables, so maybe I still dislike cooked salmon... I just wouldn't wish death upon it (since it's already dead, anyway!).



Apart from their crepes, roast chicken was supposedly another signature dish and so three of us, Paulina, Ed and myself ordered it. I spy a rotisserie near the entrance of the bistro... Yay!

Le Gamin's service was comme ci comme ça, reason being that they forgot 2 out of 3 of our chickens, which doesn't sound so bad until you realise only 4 out of 6 diners had their mains and all 3 sides were served, which truly creates an illusion of oddity because there were 2 distinctively empty table spots amidst the crowded table. Though the cafe was hardly crowded, noone came to ask if we were 'still waiting for something' or if we were 'doing alright'.

At least the chicken was great. Juicy, spice-speckled and smothered in brown sauce, it would have qualified as an object of beauty under 'Comfort and Familiar Food' category. Meaning that it was well done but not Momofuku-Supermodel material.



Oh well, I think the rest were accustomed to their not-very-attentive service and I was in a good holiday mood so none of us kicked up a fuss. It could also have to do with the freakkin' delicious roasted potatoes that kept me company in the chicken's absence.

After which we had crepes, one nutella and one lemon and sugar.





The bistro does everything from breakfast to dinner and back to brunch. The menu reads like a gathering of old friends who meet at the park to play chess, spotting French oldies but goodies from crepes to croque monsieur. The service pretty much nonchalant and disorganized, as if it was decidedly French too... Ha! I realized later the owner Robert Arbor has podcasts and a blog on the restaurant's website- looks like someone is quite a digital media aficionado.

Le Gamin
132 West Houston Street

No comments: