Friday, October 5

Anniversary Lunch at Cure, Keong Saik Road

Whenever our birthdays or anniversary rolls by, I dread it as much as I look forward to it. On one hand, it's a joyous occasion but the stress of finding the "right" place proves loathsome. I wish I had a trusted guru that just whispers the name of a restaurant into my ear and we live happily ever after. Well, my guru turned out to be Google and after googling a few places, I picked Cure at Keong Saik and left the decision at that. Yup, no further googling, reading of blogs, and scrolling of Instagram.

Our past anniversary meals at Odette, Jaan and Spago have proved memorable, so I will admit I had some expectations for Cure. The food at Cure is extremely competent, but the portions were dainty - somehow I managed to leave the restaurant hungrier than before.

The interior of the restaurant is dark and clinical. Much like the service, which was professional and sterile. It made me think that when you are a restaurant that tries to be a cut above the rest, you've got to take it beyond the food and drink; you aren't just in the food & beverage scene, you are in the game of hospitality. All in all, there was something missing from our experience. And really, it isn't just about the food anymore.


Sourdough Bread

We kicked off the meal with some lovely sourdough bread paired with velvety churned butter. They were warm, chewy and crusty - you could not ask for more. But you should because them dishes is as dainty as they come.   


Chicken Skin
Parmesan, Anchovies


Beetroot Burrata Dumpling

The snacks provided upfront were tasty morsels that set the right note for the meal ahead. 


Foie Gras Custard
Cherries, Gingerbread

For our starters, my foie gras "creme brûlée" was flawless. It was a dish around the palm of my hand and I still shared a couple of spoonfuls with KW.  That's me, the selfless giving wife. 


Goats Cheese Pasta
Summer Tomatoes, Black Olive

KW's goat cheese tortellini was a stroll through the tomato fields of summer - I hope this line doesn't cost me a spot on "Shit Bloggers  Say" meme.


Chargrilled Beef Strip Loin 
Potato, Smoked Bone Marrow


Smoked Pork Loin

Again, our mains were pitch perfect. Just a wee bit dainty, if you know what I'm saying.


Chocolate
Irish Coffee, Connemara Whiskey

Dessert was a no-brainer for me. Once I see chocolate and coffee, I'm sold. I wouldn't say it was mind-blowing but undeniably very enjoyable. 


Brillat Savarin
Apple Chutney, Sourdough

Likewise, KW enjoyed his stinky cheese option very much. Sourdough crackers were the perfect vehicle for a creamy rich hunk of cheese that married perfectly with sweet sourish apple chutney. 

No comments: