Saturday, December 2

ABOF, Millenia Walk

Question: What's with Jetstar's website? There are 4 languages to choose from: Australia English, Japanese, Chinese and Singapore English.

Singapore English???

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Australia English: "Start 2007 With a Getaway. Stand to win 2 air tickets to Bali or any destination of your choice for 3 days 2 nights"

Singapore English: "OFFER OFFER... Buy 1 air ticket to Bali and get another for free.. Come on LAR, don't waste time! You don't like offer to Bali, I give you offer to Hong Kong.. 3 days 2 nights $ xxx.. Don't say I cheat you arh"

Disclaimer: Promotions and offers stated on this blog are fictional, unless otherwise stated.

Speaking of vacations, I have finally sorted out my travel blog entries. Going through my previous entries leaves me itching to leave my nest...

I think there must be like two Scandinavian restaurants in Singapore.. Well four, if you insist on including Ikea... Just kidding! Of course, Scandinavian cuisine isn't all about meatballs but despite living in Copenhagen for six months, Scandinavian food remains a blur to me. I guess I was never adventurous enough to venture past polser, meatballs (sigh), and sushi. HAHA

Ever since I found out ABOF at Millenia Walk was a Scandinavian Restaurant, I have been meaning to get my heels through the door and dazzle my dining companions with my wordly knowledge of Scandinavian food. "Ooo, open-faced sanwiches.. you know they call them 'smorrebrod' in Copenhagen... you mean YOU DIDN'T KNOW THAT?" (Gawd, don't you just HATE it when someone speaks to you like that? And if I actually do, please dump a bowl of curry herring on top of my head- I insist.) In any event, I was lacking in opportunities since most of my friends or collegues were either adversed or TOTALLY adversed to the idea once I described to them what they could expect. At least, they didn't ask for meatballs.

By some really dubious chance, I actually ended up in ABOF and since we were greenhorns, we decided to go wit the ho-heh-heh-sounding Best Friends Platter.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Best Friends Platter

Served with dark multigrain bread and white toast, the Best Friends Platter consisted an assortment of appetizers, not unlike the cold dish you get at Chinese weddings dinners.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The roast beef above was covered in remoulade sauce, topped with green olives and shallots. It was a delight to have, with or without toast.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The pink shrimp with caviar & egg was pleasing while the curry herring, which was gut-wrenching but only because I can't stomach NON-ASIAN curry noe can I imagine it to ever tasty.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Oyster shots

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The liver pate, bacon and shallots was great on dark rye bread. Who would have thought liver pate was gorgeous with bacon? This hereby confirms ANYTHING tastes great with bacon

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Scrambled eggs wrapped in smoked salmon, topped pickled asparagus

This is a well thought out platter as there are tons of leafy greens, boiled eggs, tomatoes. I can't say it was scandaliciously good or that it brought back throngs of memories*** On hindsight, I can understand why many in Singapore would associate traditional Scandinavian food with Fear Factor. I can't gurantee an enjoyable experience on your part because it is basically an eye-opener. To me, however, I found the platter refreshing and untinted- exactly what I needed after feeling more than out of sorts lately. [By LA standards, I would have gotten myself a shrink and invested in Deepak Chokra's DVD box set.]

In any event, Tak For Mad.

***In all honesty, while in Copenhagen, I shy-ed away from most locally produced products, with the exception of yogurt, chocolate and butter cookies. It was just sushi sushi sushi, remember?

Aböf Restaurant & Tea Lounge
Millenia Walk #01-109
9 Raffles Boulevard
(S) 039596
Tel: 6338 7113
Opening hours: 8:30am - 11pm daily, last order at 10pm

2 comments:

Chubbypanda said...

Now that *is* adventurous. I've wanted to try Scandinavian cuisine for a while, but the closest I've come has been IKEA. =)

- Chubbypanda

Anonymous said...

Hi, as you can see this is my first post here.
I will be happy to receive any help at the start.
Thanks in advance and good luck! :)