Saturday, November 18

Aerin's, Second Visit

A break? Oh, who am I kidding...

Aerin's and I resemble a pair of ill-fated lovers, bound by my appreciation for their well-prepared menu and their ability to whip up 'what initially looks and sounds rudimentary but always turns out to be extremely palatale'.

On both accounts, I was only a bystander, meaning that I already had dinner and was merely a seat-warmer, my presence perhaps no more significant than the prop candle which barely lit up the table.

Ouch, that was a little harsh... after all, 'prop candles' don't get to pick off the dishes...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This time round, I tried Aerin’s Tagliatelle, which was tagged a 'must try'.

Boy, did it live up to its namesake.

The al-dente tagliatelle was tossed mushroom ragout and evenly-coated with light cream sauce, generously topped with smoked salmon and roe.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Aerin’s Tagliatelle

Among the mushroom ragout, no bore-me-to-tears button nuances were present. Instead, we recognized some exotic mushrooms such the Porcino, Chanterelle and Trompette. On hindsight, doesn't this sound like a dish assembled in the woods? I mean, the mushrooms sound like they are named after Tolkien's characters. Or could it be the other way round?

I FEE-ed. I FIE-ed. I FO-ed & FUM-ed.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Brown Onion Soup with Roasted Chestnut.

It is trying to seek tasty clear "western" soup as more than often not, you will find yourself suffering at the bowl handles of some disengaging minestrone. But the brown onion soup BEGGED TO DIFFER. Although the roasted chestnuts could have been cut out of the equation entirely, the sliced onions and flavoury taste were enough to warrant a spot in my heart.

But what truly impressed me tonight was the service. Since I've already had dinner, I decided to share the soup. When it was served, I noticed there were two resonably-sized bowls and I immediately reminded him that I had only order one bowl. Then the waiter, Vincent, informed me that he had separated the soups for he knew I had every intention of sharing.

Above and beyond his line of duty.

I just couldn't resist filling up the feedback form.

I must return to Aerin's at Raffles City Marketplace for a well-deserved proper meal SOON.

Aerin's
252 North Bridge Road (S) 179103
B1-11/12, Raffles City Shopping Centre
(S) 179103
Tel: 6337 2231
Open: 11 am - 10 pm daily

1 comment:

Sammy said...

Wow, the Tagliatelle definately looks good! Will definately try it soon. I haven't eaten good pasta for a long, long time!