Monday, October 23

Breakfast at Cedele

Dear Mr Cranberry Muffin,

I didn't show up at the regular time or at our usual place today. Were you disappointed?


If you are worried about whether I have grown tired of you, rest assure you are still my blue-eyed boy. Truth is I couldn't bring myself to see you today. After four days of having you for breakfast, I thought we should give each some breathing space. I hate to say this but maybe we should see other people.

You were more than just a pretty face. Against the other muffin varieties, you held your own against old favorites chocolate chip, blueberry and apple cinnamon. You served your purpose well but please understand I need to explore my options and see if there are others who are more suitable for me.

You had me at hello. With an earnest butterery touch, you charmed your way through my heart. On my way to work, I ponder over my breakfast options but somehow as I am walking and thinking, I find myself straying into the direction of Coffee Bean. You were my companion for a better part of the morning, cajoling me through thick and thin, through mind-numbing emails and predictable newspaper headlines. I can't use the L-word on you yet but I have definitely grown dependant on you to make my day just a little easier to get by.

But then again, you know me too well. Much as I want to, I cannot stay away. Will you forgive me and meet me at the same time same place tomorrow?

Yours,
YX Chen


Isn’t it funny when I "decidedto have something different for breakfast" I end up at Cedele? No, not funny? Just plain boring right? HAHA.. This time round, Jimmy and I head down to a different branch at Republic Plaza.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Where are my Cedele dividends?

If you have always thought of scones as trifling baked lumps of flour and butter and a waste of calories, I say, "Good on Yer! Keep it up!" Thinks to self: Yay, one less person to fight over Cedele's scrumptious blueberry scones .

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Larger than my palm, this is the largest scone I have ever seen. Filled with blueberry jam, crowned with almond silvers and icing sugar dust, Cedele’s blueberry scone is a cut above the rest. It is a vast contrast to the Hard Rock Scones from Harrods's, which I have ample reasons to suspect moonlit as props on the Flintstones movie.

On hindsight, I realized neither Jimmy nor I took any cutlery and we probably looked way boorish eating the scone with our hands. Whoops. The scone crumbled easily, leaving behind melted gunk, which inevitably made its way behind my gums. Is it just me or do you guys suffer from the same problem with scones?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Pseudo-glancing but really-sniffing-out the bread rack, I was way tempted to buy an entire loaf of cranberry orange loaf. Yes, the entire brick of it! Knowing myself, I would be happily nibbling it through breakfast and lunch (because, trust me honey, it will not last till dinner) till gluttony do us part.

But since jimmy would never let me pay for breakfast, I decided on the more sensibly sized and priced orange cranberry bun. I pried open the crusty OCB (oh gaw- that almost abbreviated to OCD) to find a 'HOLElier-than-thou' inside, tucked with bits of cranberry and orange. The bun gave off a lovely aroma.. Now, if only I could bottle the fruity fragrance and mass-market it as "le pain de mie". I would buy it... Haha. Next time I will get the loaf because the bun was a little hard on my jaw.

Speaking of orange-scented foodstuffs, the orange pound cake from Da Paolo Gastronomia is thumb's up. We popped by for a snack and my dad actually likes their pizza.. Oh, I really hope we revisit Chip Bee Gardens soon.. I can't wait to try their cheesecakes!

Back to Cedele, I have never had a rectangular muffin before- don't you think they seem pretty out of character? But I will make it a point to try them out in the very-near future. On my way to work, I made a detour to Fullerton and was drawn to the Post Express Deli.. -BIG up-to-no-good GRIN-

No comments: